Monday, July 23, 2012

Harvest Monday

This week was another great week in the garden, though some things are starting to slow down.  I am still going out and harvesting in the morning and afternoon because I always seem to miss something. Since I feel like I am posting pictures of the same old thing I will show some of what we harvested this week.

This is what I picked this morning.  There are still a couple pattypans and zucchini on the vine that I will ask my son to get.  I was wearing shorts and sandals and the little spines on the squash plants make me itch for hours!

This morning's harvest

Here are some other photos.

One of my two bell pepper plants is finally loaded with peppers.  The other is shaded by a giant cherry tomato plant that outgrew its cage.  Looks like there is some pepper jelly in our future!

Bell and jalapeƱo peppers

While one vine succumbed to SVB the other zucchini is still going strong!  These were from yesterday.

Costata Romesco Zucchini
We have lots of tomatoes in the garden and I pick at first blush so my harvest photos are not too pretty.  Here are some that have ripened!

The German Giants are living up to their names.  They are huge!

German Giant Tomatoes

My favorite tomato is Cherokee Green.  These are destined for some tomato jam.  I hope the green color looks appetizing in the jam.

Ripe Cherokee Green Tomatoes

These are Mountain Gold tomatoes.  We are not getting a lot of these this year. I grow yellow tomatoes specifically so we can make yellow tomato soup!

Mountain Gold Tomatoes

A nice haul of pink eye purple hulls.  My family loves these.  I have already started looking through catalogs picking out a few more Southern peas for next year.

Pink Eye Purple Hulls

Okay, that's enough for now.  Pop on over to Daphne's Dandelions and her Harvest Monday blog hop to see what else people are harvesting!


20 comments:

  1. I've never liked picking squash - not just because they're scratchy (would be lovely to be just itchy now, I'm bramble-scratched all over!), but because I can't stand the smell of the vines, and my hands smelling of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I have never noticed their smell (though it will probably haunt me now).

      Delete
  2. Pepper jelly! Yea! And your tomatoes are just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it for the first time last year and loved it. Also, people who ate it requested some this year. It is great!

      Delete
  3. Very impressive! I grew the Costata Zucchini last year and really loved them.

    I'm just now getting a bunch of jalapenos... I made some salsa with them. I may have to try making some pepper jelly though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you use gloves when you chop the peppers for the jelly. I have read stories of people being in agony because they skipped that precaution.

      Delete
  4. Great harvest. Especially the tomatoes. We are only harvesting a few early tomatoes, we will still be 3 or more weeks before our main crop is ready. Your's are looking really good!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make pepper jelly over here, too! It's a fav!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On cream cheese and a cracker it is nectar from the gods!

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to hear what southern peas you pick out for next year. My pink eye purple hulls started blooming just today. I hope mine look as nice as yours do. :) Great harvests this week. Sounds like you have a lot of canning in your future. And I really like how you plant things with specific recipes in mind (a la those yellow tomatoes.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband thinks I am crazy. Instead of combing through clothing catalogs I am looking at Southern peas!

      Delete
  7. I never grow green (when ripe) tomatoes and am truly curious how you determine they are ripe when the color is not available to give you the indication of ripeness? I tend to pick tomatoes upon first blush of color too because they ripen better indoors since our night time temps never really stay warm enough for tomatoes to be truly happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their color does change to an amberish shade of green when ripe. It is quite easy to tell when they are ready. Maybe I will do a post when hubby comes back and can shoot an unripe vs. ripe photo with his good camera.

      Delete
  8. Wow those eggplants look too good to eat, what variety are they? Your tomatoes also look great........I am really missing eating fresh tomatoes its just about time to plant seeds undercover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice, varied harvest! I'm curious as to why you pick your tomatoes as soon as they start to ripen on the vine...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great and varied harvest, I am a few weeks behind you. I too am curious as to why you do not allow your tomatoes to stay on the vine and ripen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like my next post should be about why I pick at first blush!

      Delete
  11. What lovely produce; the eggplant looks really good and so do those German tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...