Like most addictions mine started innocently enough. Tomatoes were my gateway vegetable, the one that got me started. My first year in this house I bought 2 tomato transplants from a big box store, planted them in one of the worst spots in my yard (unamended red clay soil, close enough to a tree for root competition, only about 4 hours direct sunlight). I wondered why I got 4 puny tomatoes that year!
Determined to do better I employed some common sense and moved the garden. I dug up the sod in an 8'x8' area, bought 6 tomatoes, inherited good tomato cages from my father-in-law, and fed them non-organic tomato fertilizer (sorry, I was new and did not know better). That year I got tomatoes!
The next year I discovered heirlooms at the farmer's market. I was astonished that tomatoes came in colors other than red and there were hundreds of varieties to choose from. I got a black, a pink and an orange tomato to supplement the ones I had gotten from the big box store. When those heirlooms started to produce there was no turning back!
Since that year the garden has grown, both in size and what I grow. We are now up to a 35'x35' garden, with an occasional plant thrown in a border. Like I do every year I have already decided that 35'x35' is not enough room and we need to make it bigger next year. I also grow a lot more than just tomatoes (see the What Am I Growing page). Last year we also added some fruit trees and berry bushes. Strawberries and raspberries are next on my wish list!
I read obsessively about ways to improve my gardening but I am by no means an expert. I make mistakes. Sometimes my mistakes happen because I do not know what I am doing. Other times, I know better, I just can't find the time to do the right thing. With 2 kids, a husband, and a full-time job sometimes life gets in the way of gardening. I always try to learn from my mistakes and hope that others can too. I do appreciate helpful hints so please leave comments if you have some!
I started this blog for the same reason most people do. I want to share my love of gardening and I want to meet others who love gardening as much as I do! Please visit often and please share your comments. Also, please feel free to let me know about your blog.
Here are some things you can expect on this blog:
- I will post regularly, usually 2-3 times a week.
- Weeds happen. One thing you will find if you follow this blog is I HATE weeding, and don't do it nearly as much as I should. As such, you will see an occasional weed or two (or more) in my photos. I figure this is what real gardens look like. This isn't Versailles after all.
- I am not an expert so I do make mistakes. I will blog about them so others can learn. One of the things I find frustrating is I read a lot about what works on the web. I also want to read about what doesn't.
- I am new to photography and my photos show it. I am, however, trying to get better.
- I promise I will not monetize this blog. You won't have to contend with ads or pop-ups. This is about the joy of gardening, not making money.
Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. Hope you will stay around to share the adventures!!